Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Purple Photo Passion #7

Photobucket
This is chives. It's from the herb garden of the Cloisters in New York City.

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum L.) belong to the same family as onions, leeks, and garlic. Although they are native to Asia and Eastern Europe, by the sixteenth century chives were common plants in herb gardens throughout Europe. Chives are hardy, draught tolerant, perennials, eight to twenty inches tall, that grow in clumps from underground bulbs. The leaves are round and hollow, similar to onions, but smaller in diameter. In June or July, chives produce large round flower heads consisting of purple to pink flowers.


Boliyou hosts this lovely meme. Go over and see the other participants.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to eat those. I didn't know they are so pretty when they bloom!

Lowell said...

Love flowers...these are gorgeous, Mary...tack sharp. Great photo!

Anonymous said...

Chives are more interesting to me as flowers and I think a lot of people have them for their bloom. I have yet to see mine this year.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful !
I searched for the english name for that little flower on my blog. You tought it was an iris, but it's called:
Ivy-leaved toadflax

In dutch, we calle it 'Muurleeuwenbek" ...

storyteller's other blog said...

Beautiful ...
I actually have these growing in my garden and only recently learned what they are. My Purple is at Sacred Ruminations again ... earlier than usual but obviously late. Such is life. Just what day of the week are we supposed to publish our purples?
Hugs and blessings,

Labels